- This course has passed.
RYA Day Skipper Shorebased 5 Day Course
A comprehensive introduction to cruising for inexperienced skippers.
Day skipper 5 Day s£405
- Thursday 11th October to 15th October
- Sunday 11th November to 15th November
- Tuesday 11th December to 15th December
Day skipper Weekend 20th/21st October and 27th/28th October £405
Day skipper evenings 13 weeks Tuesday evenings starting 25th September £330
This course equips you with enough knowledge to navigate around familiar waters by day. A basic knowledge of lights is also included to introduce you to night cruising.
We are continually updating our courses to take into account developments in technology and the electronic navigation aids now available on most cruising boats.
In conjunction with the UK Hydrographic Office we have developed a chart plotter specifically for use on training courses, giving you a realistic insight into electronic navigation. Use of this plotter is an integral part of our Day Skipper shorebased course.
We have northern and southern hemisphere versions of our training materials. So, no matter where you are in the world, our course can be tailored to you.
The course is taught over 40 hours with two exam papers. It can be covered as a series of short sessions, as an intensive week-long course, or by distance learning.
Course topics include:
- the basics of seamanship
- the essentials of coastal navigation and pilotage
- electronic charts
- position fixing
- plotting a course to steer
- weather forecasting and meteorology
- collision regulations
- construction, parts and equipment of a cruising boat
- emergency and safety procedures including distress calls,use of flares, safety harnesses, lifejackets and liferafts